By Vanessa Okwara
Dreadlocks, also known as locs or dreads, are stylishly easy to sport. This hairstyle has been around for quite some time and it does not look like it will be leaving the scene anytime soon.
Although dreads are categorized with mostly creative people in the entertainment industry, that is hardly the case now as many women are now sporting and maintaining dreads; both young and older ladies.
In fact, dreadlocks are the best type of protective hairstyling for this lockdown period, because ladies cannot go to salon to change their hairstyles. It is easy to maintain and style as occasion demand.
It is also one hairstyle you can carry for a very long time without feeling tired or the need for a new hairstyle. It is the kind of style you can maintain by yourself without the need to go the salon often, unlike other types of hairstyles.
So if you are carrying dreadlocks during this period, kudos to you! You can enjoy this hairstyle during this lockdown by maintaining them with the tips I will be sharing with you below.
Here are some tips you could add to your list to maintain your dreads:
– Massage your scalp and condition your dreads: Your hair needs moisture and so does your scalp. Massage your scalp as you apply a leave-in conditioner. This is not only relaxing but also helps stimulate your scalp’s natural oil production.
– Wash your hair regularly: Dampen your hair and apply residue-free shampoo. Gently massage your scalp and let the shampoo soak your dreads. Rinse well and use a microfiber towel to squeeze out the extra moisture.
– Don’t re-twist your hair too much: A fresh look is great, but if done too often it can cause breakage and thinning at the root.
– Practice night care: Sleeping with a night scarf, especially, a silk wrap is important. Locs tend to shed a lot and protecting your edges and your scalp is crucial. A silk night cap keeps the moisture in and protects your hair from pillow friction.
– Use natural hair care products: Dreadlocks require special products which do not leave a residue or contain harsh chemicals. Look for products that contain natural ingredients as opposed to synthetic ones.