By Adeniyi Adedeji, Ilorin
A total number of 25,000 households in Kwara State benefited from the Federal Government’s conditional cash transfer, CCT, initiative as palliatives to the pains of COVID-19 lockdown order by the government.
Each household got N20,000 from the Federal Government programme, covering the months of January, February, March and April, 2020.
At the launch of the cash transfer in Ilorin, the state capital by Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq, he said, “This is to assist the poor in this time of global pandemic, when our people are asked to stay at home to halt the spread of the virus. I commend the Federal Government for increasing the number of CCT beneficiaries in Kwara State from 10,000 to 25,000.
Commending the Federal Government for the gesture, the governor specially thanked President Muhammadu Buhari, as well as the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19.
Governor AbdulRazaq also commended the Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development “for its efforts in coordinating the actions at this crucial time.”
He said, “This complements the measures taken by our administration to alleviate the consequences caused by the pandemic and the restriction of movement resulting from it.”
He disclosed that presently, relief materials consisting mainly of food items were being distributed at the ward levels across the state by an independent committee comprising traditional rulers, religious leaders and community-based organizations.
He added, “All of these measures clearly underscore government’s good faith and commitment to the welfare of the people.
“But much more crucial is the need for all of us to be responsible and not endanger ourselves and others. Let us stay at home and maintain social distancing until it is safe to resume normal life.”
The governor, who had not appeared in public for about two weeks, confirmed that he had been in self isolation, saying, “I proceeded into self isolation shortly after returning from the National Economic Council, NEC, meeting in Abuja in full compliance with the safety protocols of the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control, NCDC, on COVID-19.
“Until now, I have remained in self-isolation shortly after returning from the National Economic Council meeting in Abuja on March 19.
“This is in keeping faith with the COVID-19 protocol that requires anyone with probable exposure to the virus, especially after travel to frontline areas, to either self-isolate for 14 days incubation period or get tested to know their status. AlihamduliLlah, I am fine as I have always been,” he enthused.